Thursday, July 29, 2010

Breaking Into The Industry: Agency or No Agency?

Breaking Into The Industry: Agency or No Agency?

When trying to get into the Makeup Industry or to move to the next level, a lot of artists contact me for advice for my thoughts. Models, Writers, TV People, Actors, Actresses and more have agents. I think it is a natural thing for a lot of Make-up Artists to think that they need an agent or agency to represent them when starting out or advancing in their career.


The truth is- there are no real make-up artist agencies- at least for people starting out, regular bridal makeup artists and most makeup artists that may even consider themselves more advanced than others.

In New York City especially, you will find people online listed as Agents for anything you could possibly imagine. Many make-up artists hear that their models have agencies or work with agency models. It is natural to assume that you should get on board with some sort of agent. Unfortunately, there really is no help out there or easy way for you to find some one else to promote your services. Ideally, we would all be able to go to an agency with a portfolio and sign on - even if that meant giving up 15-20% of our income!

A few years ago I set out to investigate possible representation. There are a lot of unofficial people out there claiming to be agents for just about any thing. I researched online for a Makeup Artist agency and didn't come up with much information. I found some online information that Wilhelmina (the model agency) offered Make-up Artist representation.

Upon calling Wilhelmina, a very awesome representative told me that they no longer had any agents for or represented Makeup Artists. It seems like a big waste to me and I am still unsure why there aren't big agencies for us! However, the lady from Wilhelmina was awesome and offered to fax/email me a long list of Agencies she still had on file. She ended up sending me about 30 pages of font 10 names,numbers and addresses.

When I used to play in bands and when I went to school and took Music Management classes- rock bands had press kits. A press kit is a folder or package that includes the bands cd, bio, press releases, promotional material, and more. These press kits are then sent out to managers, agencies, record companies and just about any one who will accept a press kit! I had come accustomed in the music world to making press kits for my own musical projects and friends projects. As a creature of habit, I decided to make up a press kit for my makeup services.
 The press kit included:
  • DVD slideshows of my work complete with a DVD Menu
  • Bio & Resume
  • Professional Printed Photos of my work
  • Business Cards & Promotional Materials
  • Cover letter to the agency
  • & More
I sent this press kit out to about 40 agencies. The entire endeavor ended up costing me about $350. I waited for the phone to ring. I did hear some replies, however most of them were saying they would keep my stuff "on file" and they said they some times need "body painters or fx people". Unfortunately, there wasnt a huge market for new beauty artists. I also started reading up on Business Management and Resume sending.
Apparently I was doing every thing wrong.lol. A lot of professional blogs and books will tell you to never "just send a resume". Apparently, the best thing to do is to call or contact the company or agency you are looking to work with. Otherwise, just sending your information is called "SPRAYING".

Remember that saying from when you were a kid? 
"Say it, don't spray it"
 Ok. Now apply that to sending your resume or dealing with companies.lol! 


It is always good to establish some line of communication before flooding people's desks with your promotional material. This is also a good habit to remember when making mailing lists or advertising to a clientele base that you have collected. There is nothing attractive about an unknown person spamming or piling their promotional material on. I wish I knew that before I spend hundreds of dollars sending my stuff out. Oh.. and.. in addition, most of those major agencies had either closed up shop or changed addresses - so a lot of my press kits actually came back in the mail - torn and damaged from the United States Post Office (thanks guys).

 So, Agency or No Agency?

The answer is- No Agency.
After spraying my promotional material all over god's earth- I then started to call a lot of the big agencies that I had sent my stuff to. Mind you, this was with an impressive resume that was filled with everything from retail experience to TV/FILM and Catalogs etc.


After calling up the agencies I kept receiving the same answers. Many of them were not looking for any new beauty artists and would consider hiring me for my special fx and body painting work. Many of the agencies only represented make-up artists with commercial make-up lines --- like Bobbi Brown or Vincent Longo. In addition, many of the agencies only represented 3-4 make-up artists each.

I ended up giving up on agencies. Although I did call some people about 2 years ago and was told then that they weren't looking to represent any new artists due to the economy. My best advice is to not waste your time on looking for agencies at all. When you get your own make-up line that is successful and is hunted down by sephora - consider getting an agenct. When you have your own book,products, accountant, lawyer, and are making more money that you can handle - get an agent. But for now - hang in there. There are no agents for you!


Occasionally, I think we all see that post "MAKEUP ARTIST LOOKING FOR AGENCY REPRESENTATION" on craigslist in the "gigs" section. However, don't get too excited. No one will be contacting them at all. Don't even waste your time.



If you are a make-up artist that is looking to advance or take the easier road - I would say you stand a better chance in the T.V. or Film Union. But that has it's pros and cons too.


Boo! to the agencies!


No comments:

Post a Comment